Handling & storage
Handling and Storage of Moist Co-Products and Moist Blends
- Moist feed clamps should be on a clean concrete surface ideally with solid walls.
- Line the walls with plastic sheets allowing for an overhang.
- Easy access for delivery vehicles.
- Compact either with a mechanical bucket or tractor rolling to dispel the air.
- Ensure an even and smooth finish to avoid excessive trapped air when sheeted.
- A sprinkling of salt over the surface will aid keeping quality.
- Cover with a clean plastic sheet and weigh down evenly.
- Keep the open face of the moist feed as small as possible and surrounding area clean to avoid spoilage.
- Check and maintain the covering sheet to avoid mould growth caused by unwanted air entry.
How to cover your clamp with Brewers' Grains
- Speak to your Area Sales Manager at least 2 months before silaging to work out the area that needs capping and the quantity of produce required.
- Prepare and clean an area where the required loads of brewers' grains can be tipped before ensiling your forage.
- When you finish consolidating the silage clamp spread the brewers' grains with a loading bucket at least 12inch deep over the surface of the clamp.
- Consolidate the brewers' grains by pressing it down with bucket making sure you get an even cover with no gaps.